November 10, 2016

Poljot Alarm Watch


Back in the early Eighties this "Poljot Alarm" was my first "serious" watch. Although the signal buzzer feature was mercilessly abused, watch served me for years as a school-time alarm clock and medication reminder. Later came the plastic fantastic diver Casios...


As far as I know my Poljot features 1. MChZ cal. 2612 mechanical movement with manual winding and 18 jewels,  alloy case and screw back. This is an export version with all-Latin lettering, probably bought new from Polish traders who at the time offered various Communist Bloc goods on flea markets.

When you entrust an elementary school kid with a complex and sensitive mechanical instrument you can't expect it to last long, but this watch is still operational in spite of obvious water damage, some drivetrain hiccups and general neglect over fhe few decades. I currently have no plans for its restoration but my kid loves the buzzing signal just like I did some 35-ish years ago...



No comments:

Post a Comment