June 8, 2016

Casio F-91W

So here it is, the iconic F-91W: One of the most affordable Casios, manufactured for some odd 27 years, beloved by nerds, hipsters, my Dad, Third World teens and (reportedly) some sinister masterminds of global terror (Wikipedia article)...

F-91W is smaller and significantly lighter than W-800
 so I often forget that I'm wearing it

It took me a couple of minutes of futile prying to realize that F-91's bars (pins) don't have spring ends, so conventional spring bar removal procedure doesn't apply here. I had to fabricate a makeshift pin punch out of steel wire and get me a very small hammer. After that, everything went on just fine. Here's the tip for the un-enlightened: both bars (pins) have to be pushed sideways through the lug holes in order to remove a bracelet.

A closing word of caution: 18x1mm nylon strap is almost too thick for this little fella, so it's important to know what's the actual thickness of replacement band (preferably before you buy it). Otherwise you'd be placing a huge stress on delicate plastic lugs - or won't be able to insert the bars at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment